Former CIA chief: Trump's Charlottesville comments 'a national disgrace'
Does the Radical Left Pose a Violent Threat?
Van plows through crowd in Barcelona, killing at least 13
By Andrés González and Richard Martin BARCELONA (Reuters) - A manhunt is underway for the driver of a van that mowed through crowds of tourists on Barcelona's most famous avenue on Thursday, killing at least 13 people in an attack that was claimed by Islamic State. Police said they arrested two men, a Moroccan and a man from Spain's north African enclave of Melilla, though neither was the driver. Also on Thursday, hours beforehand, a person was killed in an explosion in a house about 100 km (62 miles) southwest of Barcelona, in an incident linked to the attack, police added.
Prominent investigator exits Mueller team
Baltimore Quietly Removed All 4 Of Its Confederate Statues Overnight
Anti-Muslim Australian senator wears burqa in Parliament
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) ? An Australian senator provoked an angry backlash from lawmakers by wearing a burqa in Parliament on Thursday as part of her campaign for a national ban on Islamic face covers.
'Bloodiest 24 hours' of Philippines drugs war, as 32 shot dead by Duterte's police
Thirty two suspected drug dealers were killed in police shootouts in the Philippines on Tuesday night, during the bloodiest 24 hours so far of a state war on drugs that has killed over 7,000 people in the last year. The police conducted 49 ?buy-bust? operations, using undercover officers to attempt to buy drugs from suspected dealers, and 14 raids, in the province of Bucalan, just north of the capital, Manila, said police superintendent Romeo Caramat. Filipino students stage a protest rally against the war on drugs in Manila Credit: EPA Describing his forces? actions as ?one time, big time?, he said that 25 of these operations had ?resulted in armed encounter? during which 32 were killed and 107 were arrested. Officers also confiscated over 200 grams of methamphetamine, 786g of marijuana, and firearms. Mr Caramat told reporters that while the police tried to avoid casualties during their operations, that ?we do not have control of the situation.? He repeated a common line issued by the Philippine authorities, that the suspects were killed because they fought back. ?The subjects are notorious drug pushers and we all know that they are called notorious because they will refuse to be caught alive,? he said, according to local news-site, Rappler. More than 3,200 alleged drug offenders have been killed in gunbattles with law enforcers since President Rodrigo Duterte unleashed a brutal war on drugs after coming to power last year. #Philippines mandatory student drug testing may create a "school-to-cemetery track" for kids testing positive @hrwhttps://t.co/OC0MQMce3upic.twitter.com/Jpysuh1pTs? Phelim Kine ?? (@PhelimKine) August 14, 2017 Human rights groups have accused the police of acting with impunity and deliberately staging shoot-outs to kill suspects without giving them the right to a trial. They report that at least 7,000 alleged drugs dealers and users in total have been killed, with the majority being gunned down by vigilante assassins accused of having links to the authorities. Critics of Duterte have demanded an investigation into his possible role in the violence. Rachel Chhoa-Howard, Philippines researcher at Amnesty International said it was ?extremely worrying? that the killings had picked up pace in recent weeks. ?This is another horrific milestone in President Duterte?s bloody ?war on drugs?,? she said of Tuesday night?s death toll. ?This shows clearly the urgent need to establish an international-led investigation into the carnage taking place every night.? Phelime Kine, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, added his voice to calls for an independent inquiry, urging the United Nations to investigate Duterte?s drugs war ?slaughter.? ?Duterte?s consistent cheerleading for an unlawful killing campaign that killed at least 7,000 ? and perhaps as many as 12,000 ? of the country?s most poverty-stricken citizens makes him complicit in the incitement and instigation of mass killings? he said. In quotes | Rodrigo Duterte, President of the Philippines Meanwhile, HRW has warned that the safety of Philippine high school and college students could be endangered by government plans to introduce random mandatory drugs tests on campus. The ministry of education has approved a proposal to introduce drugs tests at the start of the school year to deter and determine the prevalence of drug abuse among students. ?Imposing mandatory drug testing of students when Philippine police are committing rampant summary killings of alleged drug users puts countless children in danger for failing a drug test,? said Mr Kine. ?Education officials should be protecting students, not putting them in harm?s way through mandatory drugs tests.?
Shocking Video Shows Bear Biting Off Man's Arm After He Provokes It
KKK leader threatens to 'burn' black Latina journalist and calls her a 'n*****' during interview
An Afro-Latina journalist conducting an interview with a member of the Ku Klux Klan has said he threatened her so violently that she was concerned for her safety. Ilia Calderón, a Univision journalist with both African and Colombian heritage, agreed to visit KKK leader Chris Barker on his wooded North Carolina property. Almost immediately, Mr Barker asked her why she didn?t ?go back? to her country of origin.
Former neo-Nazi: Trump?s message parrots my old propaganda
Chuck Leek poses for a picture with Geremy Von Rineman, who was a skinhead activist in Orange County. A reformed neo-Nazi says President Trump is partly to blame for legitimizing the white nationalism that exploded in Virginia last weekend. Chuck Leek, 49, of San Diego, was involved in a number of racist skinhead groups, including the White Aryan Resistance and the Hammerskins, from roughly 1987 until 2001, and spent time in prison for assault with a deadly weapon.