Second vehicle attack: five terror suspects 'wearing suicide vests' shot dead in Cambrils
Residents of the Spanish seaside resort of Cambrils fled in terror in the early hours of Friday after five terrorists wearing suicide vests launched the second ramming attack in the country in a matter of hours. At least six people were hurt when the attackers drove into pedestrians before being shot dead by security forces, just hours after a similar attack in nearby Barcelona. The Audi A3 car rammed into people on the seaside promenade of the tourist city 74 miles south of Barcelona, where a van had earlier sped into a street packed full of tourists, killing 13 people and injuring around 100 others. Police said the suspects in Cambrils carried bomb belts, which were detonated by a police bomb squad. Barcelona terror attack, in pictures Media reports said a car crashed into a police vehicle and nearby civilians and police shot the attackers, one brandishing a knife. Police did not immediately say how the attack was being carried out. A police officer and five civilians were injured and two were in serious condition. Police were working on the theory that the Cambrils and Barcelona attacks were connected, as well as a Wednesday night explosion in the town of Alcanar in which one person was killed.. "The alleged terrorists were in an Audi A3 and apparently knocked down several people before coming across a police patrol and a shoot-out ensued," said a spokesman for the regional government of Catalonia, where Cambrils is located in Spain's northeast. Spanish Policemen inspect a street in Cambrils Credit: EPA Markel Artabe, a 20-year-old restaurant worker, said he was on the seaside promenade when he heard what he initially thought were fireworks, but soon realised were gunshots. He said he saw someone lying on the ground "with a gunshot in the head". The victim's friends were crying out "help", he added. Joan Marc Serra Salinas, a 21-year-old waiter, said he heard many gunshots. "And shouting. And more shouting. I jumped onto the beach and didn't move," he said. Police said they were "working on the hypothesis that the terrorists shot dead in Cambrils could be linked to what happened in Barcelona". How the Barcelona terror attack unfolded 01:10 The attack in Cambrils happened as security forces hunted for the driver of the van used in the Barcelona rampage, who was seen escaping on foot. Police announced the arrest of two suspects over the Barcelona attack, identified as a Spaniard and a Moroccan, but said the driver was still on the run. "We're united in grief," Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said in a televised address after rushing to Barcelona. "Above all we're united in the firm intention to defeat those who want to take our values and way of life from us."
Mayor says Lee statue must go as debate over U.S. slave past rages
By Brandon Shulleeta RICHMOND, Va. (Reuters) - The mayor of Charlottesville called on Friday for a special session of Virginia's legislature to let localities decide the fate of Confederate monuments like the statue at the center of a far-right rally last week that turned deadly. Mayor Mike Signer issued his appeal amid an increasingly contentious debate over what to do with memorials to Confederate figures, who fought for the preservation of slavery during the U.S. Civil war, that are seen by opponents as offensive. In what has become the biggest domestic crisis of his presidency, Donald Trump has been sharply criticized, including by fellow Republicans, for blaming Charlottesville's violence not only on the white nationalist rally organizers, but also the anti-racism activists who opposed them.
Expert: Arkansas may have reliable source of execution drug
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) ? A death penalty expert says Arkansas' recent purchase of a lethal injection drug ? in a small amount and at a cheap price ? suggests the state has found a reliable supplier to help it move 30 inmates from death row to the execution chamber.
Natalee Holloway's Dad Leads Investigators In New Special as Authorities Dispute Discovery of Remains
Woman Turns Confederate Monument Into Second-Place Trophy
The Arizona activist and mother was left reeling, like many Americans, after President Donald Trump gave a shocking press conference to defend people who attended a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, that left one woman dead on Saturday.
10-year-old India rape victim gives birth to baby girl
A 10-year-old rape victim whose plea for an abortion was rejected by India's Supreme Court has given birth to a baby girl, a doctor said Thursday. The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was raped several times allegedly by an uncle who has since been arrested. Both the girl and her baby are doing fine," doctor Dasari Harish told AFP by phone from the northern Indian city of Chandigarh.
USS Fitzgerald's Leadership Removed Over Poor Seamanship
Neo-Nazis love media attention. But ignoring them isn't an option | Bob Garfield
There is a genuine conflict of two public interests: the collateral damage of publicity versus the right to know. First there was the violence Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia, where crowds of neo-Nazis, Klansmen, white nationalists and assorted alt-right mouthbreathers were televised chanting racist and antisemitic slogans and roughing up counter-protesters, culminating in the death of one woman. Yep, some of the finest neo-Nazis this great country has to offer.
KKK leader threatens to 'burn' black Latina journalist and calls her a 'n*****' during interview
An Afro-Latina journalist conducting an interview with a member of the Ku Klux Klan has said he threatened her so violently that she was concerned for her safety. Ilia Calderón, a Univision journalist with both African and Colombian heritage, agreed to visit KKK leader Chris Barker on his wooded North Carolina property. Almost immediately, Mr Barker asked her why she didn?t ?go back? to her country of origin.
Driss Oukabir: who is the Barcelona suspect?
One of the vans used to carry out the murderous rampage at the heart of the city was rented by a man who identified himself as Driss Oukabir, Spanish police said. The white Fiat van was rented in the town of Santa Perpetua de la Mogoda, 16 miles north of Barcelona, it was claimed. Scores of innocent victims were mowed down as a van ploughed down the Spanish city?s hugely popular Las Ramblas shortly after 5pm. After careering off the road, the driver then sped through crowds of tourists for up to 500m, sending pedestrians flying, before coming to a halt outside the kosher Maccabi restaurant. At least 13 people were killed and 100 injured. Spanish reports initially said that Driss Oukabir was being questioned on suspicion of involvement in the attack. But on Thursday night the mayor of Ripoll, the town where he lived, 70 miles north of Barcelona, said that a man identifying himself as Driss Oukabir went to his local police station and reported that his documentation had been stolen. Jordi Munell, the mayor, said that the man had insisted that he had been in Ripoll at the time of the attack and went to the local police station as soon as he saw his images broadcast in the media. Police suspect that Driss Oukabir?s younger brother, named by Spanish media as 18-year-old Moussa, could have been involved. An image taken from the Facebook profile of a Driss Oukabir Soprano. Credit: Facebook The older Oukabir was born in Morocco in 1989 and legally resident in Spain, according to media reports. Spanish newspaper El Pais said he was known to police and spent time in prison in Figueres, Catalonia, before being released in 2012. However, in what is believed to be his Facebook profile, he says he was from Marseille, southern France, but living in Ripoll. Anti-terrorism sources had earlier told El Pais that they believed Oukabir arrived in Barcelona from Morocco on August 13. They said he was known to have spent time in Madrid this year and police were attempting to work out where he stayed and who he met there. According to police audio recordings, the driver of the van was 1m 70cm tall, dressed in a white shirt with blue stripes. Police were said to have found a Spanish passport inside the van. The Facebook profile picture of a Driss Oukabir Soprano from Ripoll was changed on Tuesday to one depicting him sunbathing on an unidentified beach. An image taken from the Facebook profile of a Driss Oukabir Soprano Credit: Facebook Wearing white headphones, he posed for the picture on a blue towel, which was laid out next to a pink one. The profile states that he has been in a relationship since December 2013 and contains links to more than 700 friends, several of whom were likely relatives who share the same Oukabir surname. Within minutes of his name being released by police, the profile was flooded with vitriolic messages, condemning him for any apparent involvement. The profile was later removed from the internet. How the Barcelona terror attack unfolded 01:10 Over the last few weeks, Oukabir posted links to several hip hop music videos on YouTube. One of them, he described as being ?for my brother?. In one video, an all-boy band, who sing in French, are seen celebrating and singing about vodka. In another, they revel in their love for expensive sports cars and women. Police said they had made two arrests following the attack, but said neither of those arrested was driving the van.