Authorities Deport Man Who Had Lived In The U.S. For 30 Years
Jorge Garcia, 39, bid his family farewell Monday under the watchful gaze of Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, who required him to return to his native Mexico after living in the Detroit area for 30 years.
Botched Photo Shoot Brings Viral Glory To Missouri Family
Body of father found after California mudslides, raising death toll to 20
The body of a 30-year-old father who had been missing since this week's mudslides in California has been found, increasing the death toll to 20.† The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office says Pinit Sutthithepa's body was found Saturday afternoon. Sutthithepa's 6-year-old son, Peerawat, and his father-in-law, 79-year-old Richard Loring Taylor, were also†killed. His 2-year-old daughter, Lydia, is still missing. The list of those still missing in the mudslides has now shrunk to four. Pinit Sutthithepa was identified as the 20th victim of this week's deadly Montecito mudslides Credit: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office/AP The search for survivors of the tragedy in parts of†California's Santa Barbara County continued over the weekend, even as hopes dwindled to find anyone alive, officials said. "We're still in rescue mode and we still hope to find someone alive, although the chances of that are becoming slim," said Justin Cooper, a spokesperson for the multi-agency response team. Deadly California mudslides, in pictures Another 900 emergency personnel arrived Saturday to join the relief effort conducted by more than 2,100 personnel from local, state and federal agencies, including the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Navy and the American Red Cross. The ramped-up rescue effort is in response to urgent requests for additional manpower made earlier in the week. Heavy rains on Tuesday soaked the area near Montecito, north of Los Angeles, where vegetation had been stripped away by the largest wildfire in†California's history last month. Sodden hillsides gave way, unleashing a torrent of mud, water, uprooted trees and boulders onto the valley below and killing people aged 3 to 89. The destruction covered 30 square miles (78 square km), according to the†California†Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, and forced the partial closure of one of†California's most celebrated coastal roads, the heavily used Highway 101. Santa Barbara County Fire Capt Adam Estabrook and Engineer Rick Pinal search through a debris pile Credit: Reuters Officials ordered residents in most of the southeastern corner of Montecito, which is east of Santa Barbara, to leave their homes for what was likely to be one or two weeks. Many fled to nearby Carpinteria, where local resident Tessa Nash said they were communicating via a Facebook page called Carpinteria Swap, which is usually focused on buying and selling secondhand goods. Mudslides | Where am I at risk? In the last few days, Nash said, it has been carrying information about community-led blood drives and transportation tips. "We're really joined together," she said. "We're affected here in Carpinteria in the sense that we're taking these people in and a lot of people are out of work because they can't travel. It's a trickle down effect." (Additional reporting and writing by Rich McKay in Atlanta; Editing by Louise Heavens asnd Jeffrey Benkoe) †
Brit Party Leader Splits With Girlfriend After Her Shocking Remarks About Meghan Markle
Lava flowing from Philippine volcano, thousands evacuated
LEGAZPI, Philippines (AP) ? Nearly 15,000 people have fled from villages around the Philippines' most active volcano as lava flowed down its crater Monday in a gentle eruption that scientists warned could turn explosive.
Hawaii employee responsible for sending out ballistic missile alert in error is reassigned
The Hawaii state employee responsible for sending out an erroneous missile alert of a ballistic missile threat has been reassigned. ?The employee in question has been temporarily reassigned within our Emergency Operations Center pending the outcome of our internal investigation. A Saturday morning alert warning Hawaii residents of an incoming ballistic missile threw the archipelago into a panic and left officials scrambling to reassure resident that they were safe.
Plane skids off Turkish runway and plunges towards sea
A Pegasus Airlines flight skidded off the runway of a Turkish coastal airport and plunged down a steep slope on the edge of the Black Sea, ending up only meters from the water's edge. None of the 168 people on board was hurt in the incident, but passengers spoke of panic as the aircraft tipped nose first towards the sea. Just after the flight from Ankara landed at the Black Sea city of Trabzon there was a loud noise, Fatma Gordu was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.
Kosovo Serb politician killed in drive-by shooting
Prominent Kosovo Serb politician Oliver Ivanovic was shot dead in a brazen drive-by shooting on Tuesday that risked fanning ethnic tensions in the volatile region. The killers struck on the very day that Belgrade and Pristina resumed EU-moderated talks on normalising ties after a hiatus of more than a year. Both Serbian and Kosovo Albanian officials refrained from explicitly accusing each other of being behind the killing as the international community urged the two sides to remain calm.
Saudi Ritz Carlton to reopen after being used as luxury prison in corruption purge
The luxury Riyadh hotel used as a prison during Saudi Arabia's crackdown on corruption will reopen for business next month, suggesting authorities are close to settling the cases of many suspects. Dozens of princes, senior officials and top businessmen were detained and confined in the five-star Ritz-Carlton Riyadh as the government launched the purge in early November. The some 200 detainees occupied half the hotel's 492 rooms. The rest was closed to business. The hotel's website now accepts bookings from Feb. 14, quoting a nightly rate for its cheapest room of 2,439 riyals (£480). Saudi authorities have said they expect the vast majority of suspects to agree to financial settlements of charges against them, and that Riyadh hopes to recover about $100 billion of illicit funds. A small number are expected to be prosecuted. Construction giant Saudi Binladin Group said on Saturday that some of its shareholders might transfer part of their holdings to the state in a settlement with authorities. Chairman Bakr Bin Laden and several family members were detained in the crackdown. In late November, senior Saudi Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, once seen as a leading contender to the throne, was freed after reaching a settlement with authorities that involved paying more than $1 billion, according to a Saudi official. Another top businessman who has been held at the Ritz-Carlton is billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman and owner of global investment firm Kingdom Holding. A Saudi official said this week that he was negotiating a possible settlement but so far had not agreed on terms. It has been rumoured, Mr Talal, one of the world?s richest men, could be forced to pay as much as $7bn. Saudi Arabia is in the midst of a massive political and economic shake-up, marked by the sudden appointment of Prince Mohammed bin Salman as crown prince in June. The 32-year-old son of the king has spearheaded the unprecedented crackdown on corruption among members of the government and royal family, as he consolidates his grip on power in the kingdom.
Here's What The FBI Lovers' Secret Texts Actually Say About Trump, Clinton And Leaks
WASHINGTON ? Last week, a story by The Hill?s John Solomon set off another firestorm in the conservative media about the ongoing special counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.