Hundreds of thousands urge Donald Trump to label anti-fascists 'terrorists' in White House petition
Hundreds of thousands of people have signed a petition calling on Donald Trump to "formally recognise" anti-fascists as terrorists. The petition on the White House website urges the federal government to declare Antifa, a terror group, out of "principle, integrity, morality and safety". Antifa, shorthand for antifascist organisations, refers to a loose coalition of decentralised, grassroots groups opposed to the many guises of fascism.
Teen pleads guilty to lesser charge in Slender Man attack
MILWAUKEE (AP) ? One of two Wisconsin girls charged with repeatedly stabbing a classmate to impress the fictitious horror character Slender Man pleaded guilty Monday, but she still faces a trial in the case next month focused on her mental health.
Plane Passenger Forced to Sit In Puddle Of Urine For Entire 11-Hour Flight
British boy Julian Cadman was killed in Barcelona attack, family confirms
The grieving family of Julian Cadman, the British boy killed in the Barcelona terror attack, said they will never forget his smiles. The seven-year-old was in the Spanish city with his mother, Jumarie Cadman, to attend a family wedding when they were hit by a rented van as it careered down Las Ramblas, killing 13 and injuring more than 100. Mrs Cadman was seriously injured and in a coma, as of Sunday morning, unaware of her son's death, a senior Catalan Government source told the Telegraph. Julian Cadman, seven, who was killed in the Barcelona terror attack Julian's family confirmed he had been killed in a statement released on Sunday, saying: "Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family. "As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us. "He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. "We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts." The family thanked those who helped search for Julian in the immediate aftermath of the attack, adding: "Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time. "We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected." It took several days to formally identify Julian's body because DNA confirmation was required, the government source said. Andrew Cadman, the boy's father, heard the news of the attack on the radio last week and on discovering that his son was missing, immediately flew from Sydney to Barcelona, arriving in the early hours of Saturday morning. It is believed he was taken straight to the Ciutat de la Justicia, where victims of the Las Ramblas terror attack were being identified by forensic experts. He was then taken, with a police escort, to the Vall d'Hebron hospital where his wife, who sustained severe injuries, underwent surgery. Mapped: Barcelona van attack Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, said: "I send my sincerest sympathies to the family of Julian Cadman and all those who loved him. His death is a tragedy." Julian was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and lived in the UK for four years, attending Chiddingstone Nursery, set in a castle in the countryside, before the family-of-three moved to Australia three years ago. They return to the UK once a year to visit Mrs Cadman's older sister, Judith, whose daughter Justine's wedding the pair were attending in Barcelona. Julian's paternal grandfather, Tony Cadman, originally from Gillingham, had emigrated to Sydney decades earlier. The family had put out urgent appeals for information about Julian on social media that were removed from the internet on Saturday. Family member Debbie Cadman wrote on Facebook: "It is beyond words what we are experiencing at the moment. We appreciate all prayers and love." Terror in Spain: Dozens killed and injured in Barcelona and Cambrils A pharmacist who comforted Mrs Cadman in the immediate aftermath of the attack has described how she ignored her own as she begged for information about her son. Fouad Bakkali comforted Mrs Cadman as she lay on the floor of his Las Ramblas shop, waiting for paramedics. ?I was with the mother, the Australian mother, until the doctor came,?? he said. ?I was at her side helping her, telling her, ?be calm, don?t worry.?? He said Mrs Cadman appeared to be suffering two broken legs, a back injury and had a large wound on her head. ?She was asking all the time about her little boy. She asked me ?where is my son?. She told me he was seven years old,?? a Mr Bakkali added. ?I told her, 'he is good, it will be OK.' ?I helped to keep her breathing until the doctor?s came." Barcelona attack key articles The Catalan interior department also confirmed the deaths of an Italian and a Belgian national in the Las Ramblas attack. Forensic doctors and police are still working to identify two remaining victims of the 13 killed. Those already named include Luca Rosso, a 35-year-old Italian on holiday with his fiancee, Bruno Gulotta, 35, an Italian father-of-two and Jared Tucker, 42, an American construction worker . Officials said 51 people injured in the attack remain in hospital while 81 have been discharged. The victims hailed from 34 countries including China, Colombia, France, Germany, Honduras and Morocco.
Millions pour into US towns in path of total eclipse
On Monday, when a total solar eclipse sweeps across the United States for the first time in 99 years, people gathering in Charleston, South Carolina, will be the last on the continent to experience it. Historic Charleston, with its cobblestone streets and elegant antebellum mansions, was clearly a-bustle on Sunday, in full pre-eclipse mode. Its restaurants were packed and downtown parking was at a premium as excited locals and tourists -- possessors of the prized solar glasses that make eclipse-viewing safe -- strolled cheerfully along the seafront Battery promenade.
Watch the moon's shadow slide across the U.S. from space
Thanks to the millions who witnessed and photographed the total solar eclipse on Monday, we're quite familiar with what the event looked like from the ground. But what did it look like from space? Thankfully, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is testing out its latest weather satellite, known as GOES-16, which launched in November of 2016. The agency put the satellite to use tracking the eclipse. SEE ALSO: Neil deGrasse Tyson on all things Great American Eclipse The agency released a series of images and animations on Monday featuring the moon's shadow as it creeped across the lower 48 states. This first image, taken by the satellite's Advanced Baseline Imager, picked up the moon's shadow coming ashore in the Pacific Northwest. Satellite image from GOES-16, showing the moon's shadow across the Northwest U.S.Image: NOAA.The NOAA, which operates weather satellites, forecasts severe weather, and protects marine species, among other duties, also released an image later in the day showing the shadow of the eclipse located across the East Coast. The imager that took this photo can take a snapshot of Earth every 15 minutes. Satellite image from GOES-16, showing the moon's shadow across the East.Image: noaa.Astronauts on the International Space Station also had a unique vantage point for the eclipse, which they shared via social media. Millions of people saw #Eclipse2017 but only six people saw the umbra, or the moon's shadow, over the United States from space today. pic.twitter.com/hMgMC5MgRh ? Intl. Space Station (@Space_Station) August 21, 2017 Voila! The #Eclipse2017 shadow from @Space_Station, no words needed // Voilà! L'eclisse vista dalla Stazione Spaziale, non servono parole... pic.twitter.com/7kD5AYb5zj ? Paolo Nespoli (@astro_paolo) August 21, 2017 You probably saw #SolarEclipse2017 from Earth...but what did it look like from space? Check out these @Space_Station views: pic.twitter.com/6uPdyRFbXs ? NASA (@NASA) August 21, 2017 NASA and NOAA will likely have newer, and even better platforms in the sky when the next total solar eclipse appears above the U.S. in 2024.
Couple Who Engaged In Sexual Act Aboard Southwest Airlines Flight Questioned
Taiwan Is Suffering From a Massive Brain Drain and the Main Beneficiary is China
Merkel attacks Turkey's 'misuse' of Interpol warrants
German Chancellor Angela Merkel criticized Turkey's use of an Interpol arrest warrant to detain a German writer in Spain, telling an election town hall event on Sunday that this amounted to abuse of the international police agency. Dogan Akhanli was stopped in Spain on Saturday after Ankara issued a "red notice". The German-Turkish writer was released on Sunday but must remain in Madrid while Spain assesses Turkey's extradition request.
Charlottesville: Petition calls for Robert E Lee statue to be replaced with one of murdered protester Heather Heyer
A petition has been set up to call for the replacement of a statue of US Confederate Army general Robert E Lee in Charlottesville, Virginia, with one of an anti-racist protester who was killed in the town during violent clashes. Heather Heyer, 32, was killed after a car was rammed at crowds during a white supremacy rally on 12 August at which she had been a counter-protester. A known white supremacist, James Fields Jr, has been charged with Ms Heyer?s murder in the attack that left 19 others injured.