Nikki Haley: I had a 'personal conversation' with Trump about Charlottesville
Some anchors throw shade at eclipse
'Three dead, dozens injured' as Typhoon Hato barrels through Hong Kong, Macao and China
Dozens of people were injured and at least three dead after a powerful typhoon barrelled into Hong Kong and the nearby city of Macao before hitting China on Wednesday, reports said. Thousands were evacuated from their homes in southern China as Typhoon Hato - the worst storm in the region for five years - slammed into the mainland after flooding streets and uprooting trees in Hong Kong. The maximum category 10 storm had forced Hong Kong?s stock market to close and caused at least 400 flights at the city?s airport to be cancelled. A man walks out on a low-lying wharf while large waves caused by Typhoon Hato break along the waterfront in Hong Kong's Lamma Island Credit: AFP Only one service - a KLM flight from Amsterdam ? landed on Wednesday morning when the storm?s force was at its height, according to Hong Kong?s South China Morning Post (SCMP) newspaper. Packing winds of up to 155 kmh (95 mph), the typhoon shattered windows on the city?s skyscrapers, flooded low-lying areas and blew over public bins across the financial hub. The No. 10 signal has only been hoisted 14 other times since 1946, or one for every 72 storms, according to the Hong Kong Observatory. The last time it went up was for Typhoon Vicente in 2012. Hato also brought large-scale power cuts to the gambling hub of Macao, where hotels were turning away customers because of power issues, the SCMP said. A taxi drives on a flooded street as typhoon Hato passes Hong Kong, Credit: EPA Reports in the former Portuguese colony said three people had been killed, while Reuters said 34 were injured in Hong Kong. The centre of the storm skirted around Hong Kong, but was close enough to be considered a direct hit under the city?s storm warning system. However, it made landfall at midday (05.00am GMT) at Zhuhai, in China?s Guangdong province, Xinhua said. A Chinese sanitation worker rides a bicycle against the strong wind caused by Typhoon Hato on a road along the seacoast in Zhuhai in China's southern Guangdong province Credit: AFP The Chinese state news agency also said that ?thousands of people were evacuated? as the storm approached, and that 400 fishermen were told to return to harbour. ?Guangdong's flood relief agency said Hato could cause severe damage because it is growing stronger as it nears shore,? the news agency said. ?The typhoon also comes at a time when the Guangdong coast was busy with tourists and fish farm workers.?
Missouri governor halts execution to examine questions over DNA
By Chris Kenning CHICAGO (Reuters) - Missouri Governor Eric Greitens halted the execution of a man scheduled to be put to death on Tuesday for killing a woman during a burglary after his attorneys argued that recent DNA evidence showed he is innocent. Greitens issued the stay of execution for Marcellus Williams, 48, just over four hours before he was scheduled to die by lethal injection in a Bonne Terre state prison for the stabbing death of former St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Felicia Gayle during an August 1998 robbery at her home. Greitens said in a statement he would appoint a Board of Inquiry to examine the new DNA evidence and recommend whether he should commute Williams' death sentence.
The Latest: Families name 3 of the missing sailors on McCain
Chelsea Manning Has Epic Response To Tweeter Who Wants Her 'Shot For Treason'
India's top court bans Islamic instant divorce
India's top court on Tuesday banned a controversial Islamic practice that allows men to divorce their wives instantly, ending a long tradition that many Muslim women had fiercely opposed. The Supreme Court ruled that the practice of "triple talaq", whereby Muslim men can divorce their wives by reciting the word talaq (divorce) three times, was both unconstitutional and un-Islamic. Victims including Shayara Bano, whose husband used triple talaq to divorce her in 2015, had approached India's highest court to ask for a ruling.
Trump administration halts research on mountaintop coal mining's health effects
Donald Trump?s Department of the Interior has told the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to stop studying the effects of coal mining on health. A branch of the interior department ? the office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement ? was funding an inquiry into the potential correlation between increased human health risks and living near surface coal mine sites in Central Appalachia. Coal mining in Central Appalachia, where the committee?s work is focused, includes mountaintop removal in which peaks have been blasted off.
Biological Mom in Custody After Girl's Burned Bones Are Found in Rural Area
Tense scene as Trump supporters meet protesters in Arizona