Trump reacts to Barcelona terror by touting (debunked) anti-Muslim war crime tale
Furor erupts over killing of teenager as Philippines drugs war escalates
By Erik De Castro and Manuel Mogato MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines police came under pressure on Friday to explain the killing of a high-school student after the 17-year-old became one of at least 80 people shot dead this week in an escalation of President Rodrigo Duterte's ruthless war on drugs. Television channels aired CCTV footage that showed Kian Loyd Delos Santos being carried by two men to the place where his body was later found, raising doubt about an official report that said he was shot because he fired at police officers first. Witnesses told the ABS-CBN channel that the teenager did not have a firearm and police officers at the scene handed him a gun, asked him to fire the weapon and run.
One Tweet Perfectly Captures Why America Doesn't Need Confederate Statues
A tweet about Confederate statues is resonating with hundreds of thousands of people. Jamil Smith, a Los Angeles-based writer who has contributed to The New York Times, the Washington Post and the Daily Beast, had a great response to those who believe the removal of Confederate statues will ?erase? history.
White supremacist cries on camera as he describes 'terror' over arrest warrant
A white supremacist who helped organise the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, has appeared on camera crying as he describes his fear of arrest. Chris Cantwell, a racist who previously claimed he and others would "f***ing kill" anti-fascist demonstrators for interfering with their right to express their views, sobs uncontrollably in the clip. The blogger was featured in a Vice News documentary filmed before, during and after the rally in Virginia turned violent.
Expert: Arkansas may have reliable source of execution drug
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) ? A death penalty expert says Arkansas' recent purchase of a lethal injection drug ? in a small amount and at a cheap price ? suggests the state has found a reliable supplier to help it move 30 inmates from death row to the execution chamber.
Here's a Preview of the Solar Eclipse Traffic Nightmare
Chinese state media just released a terribly racist video mocking Indians
A video released by Chinese state media is turning heads for all the wrong reasons. The Xinhua News Agency, China's official press agency, on Wednesday released a video accusing India of committing several "sins." The video features a man dressed in a turban and a fake beard, speaking in a supposed "Indian" accent. SEE ALSO: FaceApp removes racist selfie filters The video, titled "7 Sins of India", comes amid months of increasing tensions between China and India over a border dispute, which has become known as the Doklam standoff. The three-minute long video sees a Chinese presenter explaining the Doklam standoff via a script chiding India, while the Indian "guest star" enacts a mock dialogue to a canned laugh soundtrack. The host accuses India of being a "bad neighbour," saying that Doklam has been internationally recognised as a "part of China." "Didn't your mama tell you [sic] never break the law?" she asks. Image: xinhua/twitterThe video also sees the "Indian man" ? played by a Chinese actor ? chirping in to repeat what the presenter has said, speaking in a strong faux accent. Many have criticised the video's racist angle. This is poorly produced, racist & distasteful. No tact. Air your grievances maturely, not like a vindictive child @XHNews. You can do better ? Ryan Pino (@Ryan_Pino213) August 17, 2017 China's official news agency Xinhua mocks India, (attempts to) mimic Indian accent in racist video tht parodies a turbaned Indian @htTweets https://t.co/M7xvBSaBBt ? sutirtho patranobis (@spatranobis) August 16, 2017 FYI @XHNews: It's not okay in the 21st century to have someone dress up in a turban, mock an Indian accent. Shocking from official agency. pic.twitter.com/1oC0MsOG59 ? Ananth Krishnan (@ananthkrishnan) August 16, 2017 Yes, the Indian caricature is crude & racist. Loads of racist comments online from Indians, but not clever for @XHNews to follow this path. ? Kin F. Kam (@DrKinKam) August 16, 2017 Wow, Xinhua has gone full racist!? https://t.co/afUsvonTgx ? Carl Zha (@CarlZha) August 16, 2017 According to Sadanand Dhume, an analyst at the American Enterprise Institute, the video shows that Beijing has "absolutely no intention of treating India as an equal." "Instead of framing the disagreement with India as a legitimate dispute, Beijing has chosen to dismiss or mock New Delhi's concerns," he says in a blogpost. The two countries have for months been locked in a standoff after India blocked Chinese efforts to extend a border road through Doklam, a plateau that is claimed by both Bhutan and China. India, who is one of Bhutan's biggest allies, is concerned that the road would give China greater access to parts of India and is backing Bhutan's claim over the land. It later sent troops to stop China's construction of the road. As of now, both countries have yet to withdraw from the area. WATCH: Here?s how many people in the U.S. will possibly see the eclipse
Canada wants to curb surge in walk-in asylum seekers from US
Canadian officials warned Thursday against entering the country unchecked through backwoods in an effort to curb a surge in asylum seekers coming on foot from the United States. Landing in Canada "is not an automatic ticket to being accepted here as a refugee," Transportation Minister Marc Garneau told a press conference in the Quebec border town Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, about 60 kilometers (38 miles) south of Montreal. The town has witnessed a recent dramatic spike in walk-in asylum seekers.
10-Year-Old Indian Rape Victim Delivers Baby After Denied Abortion
CIA 'warned Spanish police of possible Barcelona attack'
Catalan police were warned two months ago about a possible terrorist attack on Las Ramblas, Spanish media have reported. The CIA told Los Mossos, the Catalonian regional police force, that Barcelona was a top target for jihadist terrorists as recently as June this year, El Peridoco, a local paper, reported on Friday. "Two months ago the Central Intelligence Agency passed a notice to the Catalan autonomous police," the paper said. "It even warned of the risk to Las Ramblas," the pedestrian thoroughfare hit by an attack on Thursday. The Telegraph could not immediately verify the report. Police stepped up security at Sagrada Familia last year Credit: Jason Hawkes The reported warning followed a series of high-profile vehicle attacks in London, Stockholm, Berlin, and Nice and came amid a mounting concern amongst Spanish and foreign intelligence agencies that the Catalan capital could be next on the jihadist hit list. The last successful Islamist terrorist attack in Spain was in March 11 2004, when a suspected al Qaeda terror cell exploded bombs on several Madrid commuter trains in a series of coordinated attacks, killing 192 and injuring more than 2,000. Spanish and foreign intelligence agencies have long seen Catalonia as a high-risk area. Terror in Spain: Dozens killed and injured in Barcelona and Cambrils In 2007 the US Embassy in Madrid proposed setting up an intelligence hub in Barcelona to counter a ?major Mediterranean centre of radical Islamist activity.? Eduardo Aguirre, the-then US ambassador in Madrid, said in a cable published by Wikileaks in 2010 that heavy immigration from North Africa and Asia had made the region ?a magnet for terrorist recruiters? but that Spanish authorities had little capability to penetrate potential terror cells there. In October last year Catalan police stepped up security at the Sagrada Familia, the iconic unfinished cathedral designed by Antoni Gaudi, after an Isil-linked publication included it in an image of four key terror targets around the world. A policeman stands by a car involved in a terrorist attack in Cambrils, a city 120 kilometres south of Barcelona Credit: LLUIS GENE/AFP The others the Colosseum in Rome, the Statue of Liberty in New York, and Big Ben in Westminster, where five people were killed and 49 injured in a vehicle attack in March. According to the Spanish interior ministry, more than 180 ?jihadist terrorists" have been arrested since June 2015, when Spain raised the terror alert level to four out of a maximum of five. Spanish police and intelligence services assigned an extra 3,000 officers to investigate potential threats across the country. British dual national child missing after Spain terror attacks, says May 01:46 More than 150 combatants from Spain have travelled to Syria to fight with Isil and the whereabouts of many of those remains unknown. Police believe the high concentration of Western tourists who flock to Spain and the fact it was once under Muslim rule also make it an attractive target for jihadist terror. Barcelona attack key articles